Meat goulash recipe: traditional Hungarian dish
The goulash is a recipe for stewed meat/soup originating from what was once the Austro-Hungarian empire in Europe and that spread to nearby regions. Therefore, although every time we talk about goulash we think of one of the most representative meals in Hungary, this dish is also typical in Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Germany, northern Italy and in Balkan countries, each with certain variations and Of course, in each town and home they do it their way.
Goulash, also known as goulash, can be a stew, but also a soup, it's a bit of both. It can be eaten as a soup, or it can be accompanied by rice, bread, or flour gnocchi also typical of the region called "Spaetzle".
Each time I have traveled to Hungary and I have eaten a goulash I have been served both in the form of soup and stew.
It is common to prepare it with potatoes, but there are also those who serve it without them.
Eso Yes, what is never missing in a goulash is its star ingredient: the paprika.
The recipe for goulash is very simple. It is made with few ingredients and cooked for 2 or 3 hours so that the meat is quite soft.
There are variants with pork, lamb and even with sausages.
Meat Goulash Recipe
- 1 kg of steak for stewing
- ½ kg of potatoes
- 1 liter of meat broth (or water)
- 2 large onions
- 1 large pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon paprika powder, but you can also use it in pasta.
Chop all the vegetables in medium cubes.
Clean and itch the meat also the same size as vegetables. Garnish with salt and pepper, and pass through a little wheat flour.
Heat a pot with vegetable oil or, preferably, lard. Seal the meat quickly and reserve it.
Then add the liter of broth (or water) and the paprika.
Lower the temperature of the fire to half, cover the pot and let cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally and checking that the liquid does not dry too much.
Ideally, the goulash should remain as a sort of sunken, n Pretty dish and very tasty.
Recommendations a the time to make this dish
- Buy a good meat, which has little fat.
- Ideally, the recipe is prepared with spicy paprika. If you do not get it, put some chili peppers (hot pepper).
- Try to use a broth of meat made with bones, do not use cubes.If you have to put more (either broth or water), heat it beforehand.
- If you want to make goulash soup, try to have a little more broth available.
- Some Hungarian chefs do not use tomatoes at all in the preparation of this dish, only peppers in large quantities.
Goulash homemade recipe
Preparation Step by step of a delicious beef goulash with potatoes.Garnish with salt and pepper, and pass through a little wheat flour.
Other recipes you might like:
- How to make courgettes stuffed with meat
- Make a classic Castilian garlic soup